Monday, March 26, 2018

March OMG Update

I'm double-dipping with this post - posting both a slightly belated Friday Night Sew-In update as well as a progress report for the Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal (OMG) link-up. I hope to have time to catch up on everyone's posts later today - it looks like a lot of fols were really busy this month!

I started the weekend with just one week's star blocks left to finish - or so I thought!  I checked the finishing instructions and found that there were two more star blocks still to do - a total of 50 in the quilt.


So as I have been doing all month, I got to work piecing the little center stars and then sewing the strip sets for the nine patches. I decided to mix the strips for the extra two blocks in with week 12 so I wouldn't have any duplicate fabrics.  


By Saturday afternoon I had finished the last of the blocks. Twenty-two blocks completed in March.  Not bad!


I was so excited to dive into the finishing kit, already starting to ponder how I will quilt this top, when I read the next step. I need to make 72 more little stars for cornerstones.  That's a LOT of stars! So I had to get out my trusty wire rack and start starching fabric again. It's going to take a while to get all of those squares starched, but I managed to get enough ready to sew my first 8.  Just 64 more to make!


I took a little break from sewing binding last night to work on one of my little baskets.  I'm not sure how many years ago I started this project, but I know that I was working on it when I traveled to Australia in 2010, so it has been a while!  I am not sure where I put all my finished blocks and the rest of the fabrics, and don't even remember how many blocks I have finished, but I still love this quilt and would like to get back to it. I think I might even replace one of my other UFOs on my list with this one - is that cheating? 


I need to give some thought to my April OMG project.  Do I stick with Starlite Skies?  I feel like I'm on a roll. Or give myself a break and move on to something else? I will have to see how I am feeling about little stars by the end of the week...

5 comments:

Susie H said...

Star light, star bright. So many stars to piece tonight!
That should be your mantra. Hahahaha!
Your blocks look fantastic, really love that little basket too.

Patty said...

Love your stars! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

Raewyn said...

Well done with your stars! The big ones look great and the small ones so cute! I love the fabrics in this quilt! YOur litle baskets are lovely too - I'd be tempted to carry on with it some more :-)

Heather Mantz said...

Wait, where'd the basket come from if you don't know where the rest of the project went? Love your stars!!

Sharon - IN said...

Wow! So many stars! You are on a roll, and maybe should keep them in production for April!